Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Lawless

So, I'm not dead but theme week didn't really work out that well. I blame Independence Day. I might try theme week again in a few weeks but for now I want to round out my Tom Hardy movies with Lawless. "Have you met Howard?" This has easily become one of my top ten favorite movies. I love the story, the filming, and most of the characters. If I could change one thing about this film, it would be to edit out all the parts with Shia LeBeouf. I know the story is pretty much told from his point of view and he's important or whatever but, he really annoys me and I hate his character's storyline. Guy Pierce plays the main asshole but I still like him better than Shia LaBeouf in this movie. Anyway, back to the main stuff.

Characters and storyline. This movie is based on a true story written by one of the brother's sons, I believe. The period this takes place in is accurately shown. I love Tom Hardy in this movie and his character. He doesn't say much and just mostly grunts but he is also a total badass. Jessica Chastain also does a very good job at her character. I've only seen her in a couple of movies but I think she is great and should be more popular than she is. Those two make the movie for me. Who doesn't love a good Prohibition-era moonshine movie? Being from the south, I can appreciate the history more. The director does a good job of bringing the audience in to the story with feeling the emotions with the characters. I'm not going to lie. I shed a tear during what happened to Cricket Pete. That is always a good sign to me. I also really hated Guy Pierce's character which wasn't hard to do as he plays a complete asshole. No worries, he gets what is coming to him.

Cinematography. This story is beautifully filmed. I really captures the feel and look of the south during the Prohibition-era. There are, of course, some really well done shots. It is also subtlety colorized with a sandy feel. Everything always looks kind of dirty which really does add to the film. You don't really notice it at the time but that is important for the audience to really believe and immerse themselves into the story.

If you need a reason to watch this movie, then do it for Tom Hardy. The storyline will support itself and show you what a truly great film it is. I think it is underrated and often overlooked but, not by me! I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment